1. Farmingdale's Aviation Origins:
Located in Farmingdale, Long Island, the Republic's airport is a historically significant airfield for the region and the world, which has played both military and civilian roles. But long before it became an airfield, the manufacturers of aircraft emerged.
"The industrial revolution and aircraft came to Farmingdale during World War I when Lawrence Sperry and Sydney Breese set up their landmark factories in the community," wrote Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas in their book "Aircraft Construction in Farmingdale" (Arcadia Publishing, 2016 ), P. 9). "They were attracted by the presence of two branches of the Long Island Railroad … the nearby Route 24, which brought the car and truck traffic to and from the fifty-ninth road bridge in Manhattan flying fields and the proximity to skilled workers … "
However, the first aviation roots of the area were planted as early as 1917. The Lawrence Sperry Airplane Company, whose capital this year was $ 50,000 and was located in the streets of Rose and Richard in the village of Farmingdale, produced their first messenger-style aircraft.
Designed by Alfred Verville of the US Army's Engineering Division at McCook Field, the tiny 3-meter wooden biplane was designed for airborne motorcycle missions that landed in small clearings to deliver messages from the field and to intercept commanders, thus earning his name. Farmingdale's aerial roots were equally cultivated by Sydney Breese, whose Breese Aircraft Company, located on the Eastern Parkway, designed the penguin. Similar to the Bleriot XI, the center-wing aircraft, powered by a 28-horsepower, two-cylinder Lawrence engine, was a non-flying preflight coach designed to assist the US Army's pilot in the transition from primary to operational type. Used in the open plains of Texas, it had too short a wing span to create lift, but it allowed young pilots to transmit the feeling of aerodynamic forces to their horizontal tails before take-off. Of the 301 produced, only five were ever used for this purpose; the rest was stored.
2. Fairchild Aviation Corporation:
When Lawrence Sperry and Sydney laid down Breese Farmingdale's aviation foundation, Sherman M. Fairchild cemented it.
Initially he was interested in aerial photography equipment, founded the Fairchild Aerial Camera Corporation in 1920, and sold two such devices to the Army. He then developed the company into Fairchild Aerial Surveys to create maps after receiving an order for an additional 20 devices.
Fairchild was eager to replace the myriad aircraft types it operated with a single, specially designed camera platform. He developed the required specifications for one, but could not find a manufacturer who was able to build them at a reasonable cost. He was forced to found his third carrier, the Fairchild Aviation Corporation, and moved to the Sperry factory in South Farmingdale after the tragic death of Founder Sperry in December 1923.
Known as the FC-1 and first flown as a prototype in 1926, the single-engine, single-wing, multi-purpose multi-purpose aircraft had a closed and heated cabin to protect the pilot and his camera equipment, but the original OX-5 engine proved inadequate. Retrofitted with a higher-capacity Wright J-4, it was renamed FC-1A.
The production version of the FC-2 carried by wheels, floats or skis was characterized by a larger cabin volume. Powered by a 200 hp Wright J-5, the commercial-purpose aircraft had a total length of 30 meters and a span of 30 meters. It took a single pilot and four passengers, or up to 820 pounds of cargo, had a gross weight of 3,400 pounds and could reach top speeds of 122 mph and service segments of 700 miles.
Demand at the factory in South Farmingdale soon slackened. After surveying the region from the air, Fairchild opted for a 77,967-acre alternative on the south side of Route 24 and Conklin Street in East Farmingdale, a location that dominated the prevailing winds on the south coast and access to multiple modes of transport a railway line and railway enabled the main corridor Route 110, which would facilitate both the transport of passengers and raw materials into the new area. In airplanes repackaged, this could then fly out.
"The 77,967-acre Fairchild Flying Field was developed in late winter and early spring 1928 and was originally owned and operated by the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Manufacturing Company," said the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society. The first flights of (it) took place in the late spring of 1928, after the Fairchild Airplane and the Fairchild Engine factories were completed and aircraft produced Fairchild built the models 41, 41A, 42, 21, 100, and 150 aircraft. "
Wings such as the Hempstead Plains in the west rose again from the fields on Long Island, which were later built, powered and supported by the Fairchild Airplane Factory, the Fairchild Engine Factory and the Fairchild Flying Field. Faircam Realty, Inc., acquired the property and the original division took place on 3 November 1927.
Although Fairchild produced several models in his new aviation center in Long Island, his roots would soon turn out to be tender. After only three years in 1931, the company relocated to Hagerstown, Maryland, and evicted its facilities, which were almost immediately refilled by American Corporation or AVCO, whose divisions Airplane and Engine produced the Pilgrim 100 transport for American Airways. But the economic crisis has severely dampened demand for aircraft, as aircraft purchases were high on a company's cost-cutting list and its presence was lower than that of Fairchild. In the middle of 1932 it had disappeared as well.
3. Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation:
Originally Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation was located in Valley Stream, where it constructed floats. She moved east to the Fairchild Flying Field and settled in the former Fulton Truck Factory, where she hatched her first series fighter, the FF-1. Powered by a single 750 horsepower Wright engine, the double-decker with retractable landing gear was also offered in scout configuration as SF-1.
However, the most significant aircraft that emerged from the East Farmingdale production line was the Duck. After Loening had its origins traced back to the XO2L-1 of Loening Aeronautical Engineering Corporation, she had been filed in 1931 with the US Navy. However, since Loening did not have the necessary facilities, he turned to his former colleague Leroy Grumman. filed in amended form. The adopted on April 25, 1933 biplane XJF-1 was powered by a 700-horsepower twin-Wasp engine, which propelled a three-bladed Hamilton standard propeller. The stiffener, consisting of a set of struts outside the fuselage and a second set of wires between the two wings, was minimal for the time. The water insert was supported by a centerline float under the fuselage into which the landing gear was retracted.
A total of 632 JF and J2F ducks were produced, which were pressed into a global service with multiple roles.
Although Grimman's presence in Farmingdale exceeded that of anyone else, it ended half a decade later in 1937, when it was moved to a larger headquarters in Bethpage, Long Island.
4. Seversky Aircraft Corporation:
The Seversky Aircraft Corporation was next in focus at Farmingdale when she moved from College Point in Queens to the former factory of American Corporation.
Alexander P. de Seversky, an excellent World War I ace, emigrated from Russia to the US like Igor Sikorsky, and in 1923 developed the first gyroscopically stabilized bomb at the Sperry Gyroscope Company before founding his own Seversky Aero Corporation, which focuses on Aircraft instruments and parts.
Equipped with fresh capital, it first occupied the hydroplane factory of EDO Corporation.
Its first major design, the SEV-3, was both aerodynamically elegant and advanced, reflecting Seversky's aviation-intuitive character. Powered by a single, 420-hp, nose-mounted Wright J-6 Whirlwind engine, the all-metal low-wing aircraft that housed one pilot and two passengers in slidable tandem cockpits was either supported or floated by a wheeled chassis and set a world speed record in 1933 for piston amphibians. Two years later, on September 15, it reached an airspeed of 230 miles per hour.
The foundation of many subsequent versions, which externally showed only minor deviations from the basic design, evolved to the next big iteration, the BT-8. The first all-metal, enclosed cockpit operated by the US Army Air Corps had a length of 24.4 feet and a span of 36 feet. Equipped with the 400 hp Pratt and the Whitney R-985-11, the 4050-pound airplane with a capacity for two people reached a top speed of 175 miles per hour. Thirty were built. It led to the final version.
The Seversky Aircraft Corporation, which originally occupied Hangar 2 on the New Highway and is now used by the American Airpower Museum, took over the Grumman factory in 1937 when she moved to Bethpage, thus maintaining two facilities. However, based on the brief history of tenants at East Farmingdale Airport, it ended abruptly: Although Seversky, like many other aeronautical "geniuses", had the design capabilities needed to build advanced aircraft, he lacked the necessary management skills. It required a reasonable and profitable business plan to market, resulting in a loss of $ 550,000 until April 1939. Half a year later, on October 13, when he ran a European sales tour, he was ousted from his own board by directors who voted for his departure from the company he founded.
It was reorganized and renamed Republic Aviation Corporation.
5. Republic Aviation Corporation:
The assets of Fairchild Flying Field should change. Driven by World War II, the fledgling Republic Aviation Corporation would explode and its roots would be planted so deeply into farmingdale soils that it would take decades to dig them out.
Crucial for this war was the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.
As the successor to the Seversky P-35, it was the result of the requirements of the Army Air Corps, which included an airspeed of 400 miles per hour, a service ceiling of 25,000 feet, machine guns with a caliber of at least 6.50, protection against armor and self-sealing Fuel included tanks and a minimum fuel capacity of 315 gallons.
The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, which overshadowed all other aircraft, was the world's largest, heaviest, single-engine, single-seat strategic WWII fighter and offered unrivaled dive speeds.
The wartime growth of the officially renamed "Republic Airport" led to the expansion of the company's existing factory on the south side of Conklin Street and the construction of three additional buildings, the installation of a control tower and the extension of the existing runways were 9,087 units in Farmingdale in action to support the P-47 production. By 1944, 24,000 employees were required. Every day thousands of employees joined together. A 24-hour production line spit out an hourly finished aircraft from the factory, which was then transported by the Women Air Force Service Pilots (WASPs). Republic Aviation, one of the country's main defensive veins, pumped man and machine into Farmingdale's agricultural plains, transforming them into a democratic arsenal within 18 months.
"By 1945, the Republic was contributing more than 30 percent of the Air Force fighters to the war effort against the European Air Force," wrote Leroy E. Douglas in his September 2007 article "Conklin Street Cut-Off." 1984 Long Island Forum Issue (p. 182). "So Republic, Rangers and more than 23,000 workers, of which more than half were women, did their part in winning the war."
When the doors of World War II closed, the doors of the Thunderbolt factory and the Republic also had to diversify their product range in terms of purpose and propulsion and convert the Douglas C-54 Skymasters into commercial DC-4 aircraft that produced 1,059 civilian ones Seabee amphibious aircraft and the attempt to design their own passenger transport.
The resulting aircraft, the Republic XF-12 Rainbow, received a contract for two together with the rival and identically powered Hughes XF-11.
The rainbow, which mimics the graceful lines of the Lockheed Constellation, with a total length of 93.9 feet and design experience from the development of fighter jets in the Republic, emanated a look that was published by the Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine entitled "The sharp nose "and the cylindrical cigar shape of the XF-12 fulfills a designer's dream of uncompromising aerodynamic design. "
Peace was the enemy of the plane. The end of World War II prevented his (and the comparable Hughes XF-11) need. Nevertheless, its day and night capability for capturing photos with limited visibility and long range, high speed and altitude made it ideal as a territorial mapping platform. In fact, on September 1, 1948, the second of just two aircraft ever shot its transcontinental flight path from the Air Force Flight Testing Center in Muroc, California, to Mitchell Field, Garden City, Long Island, during Operation Birds Eye.
The Republic returned to its military roots and entered the era of pure jets with a P-47 Thunderbolt successor.
With a length of 37.5 feet, the design, which was designed shortly before the end of the war in 1944, maintained the straight wings associated with propeller aircraft. These stretched over 36.5 feet.
The 19,689-pound fighter-bomber, the F-84 Thunderjet, which flew for the first time on February 28, 1946 and was able to ascend at a speed of 4,210 fpm, set a national speed record of 611 miles per hour. GE 7th Its range was 1,282 miles and its service ceiling was 40,750 feet. The production amounted to 4,455 units.
The development of the successor began in 1949. Due to a financing shortage of the Air Force, the Republic reduced the development costs, by increasing the common ground with the F -84 to 60 percent, but introduced wing swings. The aircraft, powered by a 4,200-pound Allison XJ35-A-25 engine and originally named YF-96A, flew for the first time on June 3 of the following year, three months before it was renamed F-84F Thunderstreak has been.
The increase in funds triggered by the Korean War allowed the republic to complete a second prototype, which was first flown on February 14, 1951 with a YJ65 W-1 engine, followed by the first production example, which went to heaven on November 22. 1952. The type was used by NATO countries during the Cold War.
The production of the F-84F Thunderstreak amounted to 2,713 aircraft.
Nonetheless, Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas combined aircraft construction in the Republic in their book Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale (pp. 7-8). "While aviation at Farmingdale began with cloth-coated tri-and biplanes and propeller engines, after the Second World War the Republic helped put the United States into the jet age with the F-84 and F-84Fs Forces in Korea and the NATO countries stood by the side in the 1950s. "
6. Fairchild Republic Corporation
Although Fairchild left exactly the airport it had created in 1931, this absence was short-lived. Three years later, it reappeared in its former engine factory as a newly formed Ranger Aircraft and Engine Corporation and remained there until 1948. But for the second time, the cycle of history was about to end.
Nine years later, she took over Hiller Helicopters and became Fairchild Hiller. In July 1965, she acquired the majority of the republican shares, which resulted in the Republic Aviation division of Fairchild Hiller. So Fairchild had returned to the ground where he planted his first seeds. In 1971, she continued her buying frenzy, buying Swearingen and producing and marketing the Fairchild-Swearingen Metro 19-passenger twin turboprop. The following year, the company adopted the official title Fairchild Republic.
Its pre-Republic design was developed by the Air Force, which needed an air support plane with easy maintenance and short field performance to operate from small front air bases near the battle line.
It was called A-10 Thunderbolt II and ran 733th It was instrumental in the Gulf War and involved in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
7. Postwar production:
Although the Republic's airport and its airlines were primarily associated with the development and manufacture of military aircraft, various commercial and space components emerged from its doors.
In the Boeing 747 were integrated, for example, built by the Republic Aviation Division of Fairchild Hiller leading edge battens, trailing edges, spoilers and ailerons. Supersonic aircraft 2707.
Also inextricably linked to the Space Shuttle were the Fairchild Republic components manufactured in Farmingdale.
Fairchild Hiller, after receiving a $ 13 million contract from Rockwell International in Los Angeles on March 29, 1973, designed and developed six vertical aluminum rear stabilizers that had a 45 degree leading edge and 27 feet high and 22 feet long. along with the associated oars and brakes. The first, which was installed on the test vehicle Enterprise, enabled the atmospheric launch of a piggyback-filled 747 platform over Edwards Air Force Base on February 18, 1977, while the others were mounted on Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavor space shuttles ,
On 25 January 1980, Fairchild Republic signed a contract with Saab-Scania of Sweden for the launch of the SF-340, which was the first fully cooperative venture between a US and a European aerospace manufacturer. Fairchild Republic was commissioned to design and build its wings, engine nacelles, and vertical and horizontal tail units. The final assembly took place in Sweden.
Fairchild Swearingen has been given marketing responsibility for North America, while a Swedish joint venture, Saab-Fairchild HB, has opened an office in Paris to fulfill this role elsewhere.
Powered by two turboprops, the aircraft offered space for 34 passengers in a four-side configuration with a central aisle.
However, after completion of around 100 airfoil sets, Fairchild ended its contract work for the regional aircraft and withdrew from all civilian projects. The aircraft received the new name Saab 340.
8. Change roles:
The Republic Airport was operated on March 31, 1969 by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), which privately converted it to a public facility by acquiring 94 hectares of land from the US government and acquiring another 115 hectares Owned southwest.
"The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has acquired Republic Airport as the first step toward converting to field aviation," said the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society.
Several improvements have been made with the introduction of a modernization program. For example, high-intensity searchlights were installed on runways 1 to 19 and 14 to 32 feet, the latter of which also featured an instrument landing system (ILS). The Fulton Truck Factory, the original structure of the 1916 airport, was demolished, while Flightways transformed a ten-acre site on the north side of Route 109 into a complex of new hangars, administration buildings, fuel tanks, and aircraft anchorages. A two-storey administrative, terminal and maintenance building opened in 1983, not far from the launch of a $ 2.2 million FAA control tower.
To promote the economic development of the surrounding region, the legislature of the State of New York for the third time transferred ownership to the Department of Transportation of the State of New York (DOT) on April 1, 1983, which was advised by a nine-member airport of the Republic Commission. It has hardly slowed down the pace of modernization.
Eight years later, a $ 3.5 million, 25,600-square-foot Grumman corporate hangar replaced the aircraft warehouse previously maintained at the now-closed Bethpage aerodrome and housed a Beechcraft King Air, a Gulfstream I, and two British Aerospace BAe- 125-800s , open.
In April 1993, the foundation for a $ 3.3 million SUNY Farmingdale Aerospace Education Center was laid on the east side of Route 110.
Million Air, a subsidiary of Executive Air Support, has built an 11,700 square meter Executive Air Terminal and corporate hangar at the southern end of the airport. Until 2001, Air East started operations in its own new radiant, 10,000 square meter airport building. A square meter hangar housing a 2,500 square meter store and a 4,500 square meter office and flight school. Another hangar and office complex in the Lambert area was opened in June 2005, when the charter company Talon Air opened from there.
In order to give the newest generation of business jets such as Gulfstream V and Bombardier Global Express more freedom, the Rollweg B (Bravo) was relocated.
In fact, more than $ 18 million in capital improvements has been made since 2000 alone.
These improvements, which provided the airport for its new role in general aviation, may have been a foreshadowing of things to come.
In 1982, Fairchild Republic was awarded the contract to build two training jets of the new generation Air Force T-46A. The milestone, originally conceived as a monetary lifeline, had only the opposite effect: although the prototype was first launched three years later, it was missing around 1,200 parts, while the second completed a successful first flight of 24 minutes in July In 1986, the controversial program contract was terminated, which led to layoffs of 500 employees.
Like so many companies that needed military contracts to survive, Fairchild Republic ceased to exist the following year. The burgeoning factories and a legacy that began six decades ago remained. Ironically, the two names Fairchild and Republic, who were instrumental in the beginning and growth of the airport, were the same people who were involved in its demise. The doors of the Farmingdale airfield, which mainly manufactured and tested military aircraft, were closed and the general aviation doors were opened.
"Since the company had major financial problems in 1986-1987 and the T-46A program was no longer supported in Congress, Fairchild discontinued both SF-340 and T-46A production after building just four aircraft" according to Ken Neubeck and Leroy E. Douglas in aircraft manufacturing at Farmingdale (page 99). "So, in autumn 1987, seventy years of aircraft construction in Farmingdale ended in employment and economic loss for the community and the New York metropolitan area."
9. Airline service:
In 1966, one year after the ownership of the Fairchild Hiller Airport by the Farmingdale Corporation, it was officially designated as a (civilian) general aviation facility for the first landing of a Beechcraft twin-engine Ramey Air Service based in Islip. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has signed a contract with Air Spur for the provision of this feeder service four years later, to make the connection to the three major New York airports a gateway and to estimate $ 12 for one-way flights.
Although the Republic was never considered as a major commercial airport, its central location on Long Island, its proximity to the Route 110 corridor, and its sizeable infrastructure enabled limited scheduled and charter services to key business and tourist destinations in neighboring states. However, the inherent operating restriction was specified as part of the 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update.
"At the Republic airport," the Department of Transportation of the State of New York introduced a weight limit of 60,000 pounds for aircraft in 1984. This weight restriction restricts the operation of aircraft with an actual gross weight of over 60,000 Pound one without the written consent of the airport operator. "
"According to forecasts, the number of jets stationed at the airport of the Republic will increase," the master plan update says, "and jet flight operations will increase," as the annual statistics of pure jet flight operations will eventually prove: 2,792 In 1990, 4,976 in 1995 and 6,916 in 1998. And of the average annual number of about 500 aircraft, this segment was also the fastest growing: 10 jet aircraft in 1985, 15 in 1995. That number has since then more than doubled.
One of the first scheduled flight trials was undertaken in 1978, when Cosmopolitan Airlines, with a former Finnair Convair CV-340 and two former Swissair CV-440 Metropolitans in a one-class configuration with four side-by-side, offered an all-inclusive charter package to Atlantic City from the Cosmopolitan Sky Center. The flyer had advised, "Fly to Atlantic City for just $ 19.95 net How it works: Pay $ 44.95 for a round-trip ticket to Atlantic City, including ground transportation to and from Claridge Hotel and Casino Arriving at Claridge You will receive $ 20 in food and beverage credit at any restaurant except the London Pavilion and you will receive a $ 5 credit on your next flight to Claridge at Cosmopolitan Airlines. "
The airline also briefly attempted to offer two daily scenic flights to Boston in 1980 with its 52-passenger CV-440.
This scheduled service growth was facilitated by the construction of a passenger terminal.
"The terminal building, completed in 1983, covers an area of around 50,000 square meters and houses first-floor airport service vehicles, maintenance, fire protection, public terminal areas and rental space, as well as administrative offices on the second floor, with approximately 70 employees working in the building" 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update (Chapter 1, p. 17).
PBA Provincetown Boston Airline attempted to connect Farmingdale with Newark International's main New York Metropolitan Airport to service its departures, and began shuttle service on the Cessna C-402 commuter aircraft connecting Long Island with a 30-minute antenna Embark on up to five daily round-trip flights and coordinate flight schedules with PEOPLExpress Airlines. It competed to avoid the excessive travel time, parking costs and longer check-in requirements that would otherwise be associated with using larger airports, and provided the convenience of transit rates, ticketing and baggage control for each PEOPLExpress final destination.
According to the schedule of the Northern System of 20 June 1986, Farmingdale departures were offered at 07:00, 09:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 17:00.
Demand soon necessitated replacement of the C-402 with a larger 19-seat Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante.
Alle diese kurzen, erfolglosen geplanten Versuche, die die unbegründete Besorgnis der Anwohner zunichte machten, dass sich die Republik letztendlich zu einem bedeutenden Verkehrsflughafen entwickeln und Lärm auf die Ohren der unmittelbaren Nähe ausüben würde, scheiterten daran, den nötigen Verkehr anzulocken, um sie selbsttragend zu machen. Hervorhebung mehrerer flughafenspezifischer Faktoren.
1). Die Republik war im letzten Teil ihrer Geschichte konsequent mit allgemeinen und nicht geplanten Operationen verbunden.
2). Long Island MacArthur hatte sich bereits als die wichtigste kommerzielle Einrichtung der Insel etabliert, und Fluggesellschaften, wie von Precision / Northwest Airlink gezeigt, erzielten durch die Verwässerung desselben Marktes keinen Ertragsvorteil, verursachten jedoch erhöhte Flughafen- und Betriebskosten.
"Der Flughafen der Republik wurde von verschiedenen Pendlerfluggesellschaften bedient, von denen jede ihren Flugbetrieb eingestellt hat …", heißt es in dem 2000 aktualisierten Masterplan für den Flughafen der Republik. "Angesichts der größeren Flughäfen wie La Guardia, Kennedy und MacArthur und des von ihnen angebotenen Service ist das Marktgebiet für Pendlerdienste geografisch begrenzt."
"Seit 1969 trägt der Flughafen der Republik dem Bedarf der Region nach einem Flughafen für Privat- und Geschäftsflugzeuge sowie für Charter- und Pendlerverkehr Rechnung", heißt es weiter (Kapitel 1, S. 1). "Da sich die Republik inmitten der Entwicklung von Wohn-, Gewerbe- und Industriegebieten befindet, ist ihre Rolle nicht mit der eines Linienflughafens für den gewerblichen Luftverkehr vereinbar."
Da die Zahl der jährlichen Fahrgäste von 13.748 im Jahr 1985 und 30.564 im Jahr 1990 auf 33.854 im Jahr 1995 stetig gestiegen ist, konnte ihre künftige Pendlerrolle nicht gänzlich ausgeschlossen werden.
"Während die bisherigen Bemühungen der Pendlerfluggesellschaften nicht erfolgreich waren, besteht das Potenzial für einen zukünftigen Flugdienst, das bei der Planung des Flughafens berücksichtigt werden muss", heißt es abschließend (Kapitel 2, S. 10).
10. Die Zukunft:
Anders als die Felder Roosevelt und Glenn Curtiss, die dem Druck der Neuzeit erlagen und ihre Start- und Landebahnen gegen Einkaufszentren austauschten, übergab die 526 Hektar große Republik nur einen kleinen Teil von sich selbst dem Einkaufszentrum Airport Plaza. Es war maßgeblich an der Entwicklung der frühen Luftfahrt sowie an den Kriegen in Korea, Vietnam, am Golf und im Irak beteiligt und verwandelte sich in eine Einrichtung für die allgemeine Luftfahrt, die mit 546 Flugzeugen ihren Höhepunkt erreichte und nach JFK International der drittgrößte Flughafen in New York wurde und La Guardia.
Das westlichste Luftfahrtunternehmen in Long Island, das sich selbst als "Luftbrücke des Unternehmens für die Wirtschaft des 21. Jahrhunderts" auszeichnet, hat 1.370 Arbeitsplätze und 139,6 Millionen US-Dollar wirtschaftliche Aktivität und unterstützt 60 Unternehmen am Flughafen. Die 110.974 Bewegungen, die 2008 verzeichnet wurden, umfassten 52 nicht starre Luftschiffe, 7.120 Drehflügel, 76.236 einmotorige Kolben, 6.310 zweimotorige Kolben, 5.028 Turboprops und 16.228 reine Jets. Letzteres, das zweithöchste Ergebnis, unterstreicht seine zunehmende Rolle als "Teterboro von Long Island" und weist möglicherweise den Weg in seine Zukunft. Indeed, companies considering the area for their corporate locations cite the airport as a major asset, since it provides close-proximity aerial access for personnel and materials.
Toward that end, the State of New York approved funding in April of 2009 for a Vision Planning process to collect data from residents, employees, businesses, and users, and then plot its future course. Specifically, the program had a three-fold purpose-namely, to define the airport's role, to determine how it will fill that role, and, finally, to ascertain how it will work with the community to attain the desired operational and economic goals.
"As part of the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS), Republic Airport is designated as a reliever airport with commercial service," according to the 2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update (Chapter 1, p. 1). "Under ownership by the New York State Department of Transportation, there are specific state development and policy procedures which are followed."
Although it may never eclipse its current general aviation role, its importance was not to be underestimated.
""Republic Airport is an important regional asset," it stated (Chapter 1, p. 1). "It provides significant transportation and economic benefits to both Suffolk and Nassau counties. The policy of the New York State Department of Transportation and the Republic Airport Commission shall be that Republic Airport continue to better serve Long Island."
Whatever the future holds for it, it has a nine-decade foundation upon which to base it, as acknowledged by the plaque hung in the passenger terminal by the Long Island-Republic Airport Historical Society, "honor(ing) the tens of thousands of men and women who labored here in East Farmingdale, contributing significantly to aviation technology and aircraft production." Those men and woman turned the wheels of the 11 aviation companies based there.
Long Island Republic Airport Historical Society website.
Neubeck, Ken, and Douglas, Leroy E. Airplane Manufacturing in Farmingdale. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2016.
2000 Republic Airport Master Plan Update, New York State Department of Transportation.